Monday, January 21, 2013

Known but well silenced

I don't know about anyone reading this blog, but for me and the people I went to school with none of this information was made available to us.  This has been known for about 20 years, that there is no scientist shortage.

A NYTimes article from 1992

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/03/10/science/amid-shortage-young-physicists-see-few-jobs.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Then there is this dated 1999, the lovely "don't become a scientist" article

http://wuphys.wustl.edu/~katz/scientist.html

More to come.

2 comments:

  1. "I have known more people whose lives have been ruined by getting a Ph.D. in physics than by drugs"

    gotta stay badd...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever said that has kept their nose quite clean (in a metaphorical, and I suppose extremely literal way).

    I would not say a PhD has ruined my life, especially in physics (where the gradschool pays the tuition and a stipend so I haven't really incurred debt), so I really disagree with the statement that it is a life ruiner. It is just superfluous.

    ReplyDelete